0
Articles   |    
Preoperative skeletal traction in scoliosis

J Bone Joint Surg Am, 1975 Jul 01;57(5):616-619
5 Recommendations (Recommend) | 3 Comments | Saved by 3 Users Save Case

Abstract

To determine the role of preoperative traction in the treatment of spinal curves, ten patients with curves averaging 81 degrees by the Cobb measurement were studied. Each patient was treated in traction by means of a halo or skull tongs and femoral pins for two to three weeks prior to the surgical correction of the scoliosis with instrumentation. Weights were added to the traction apparatus, 1.8 kilograms a day, to a maximum of 18.1 kilograms. Pretraction supine roentgenograms were compared with supine roentgenograms made at three-day intervals throughout the traction period. Preoperative traction resulted in an average improvement of the curves of 34 degrees, or 41 per cent of the initial curve. Most of the correction was obtained within the first week of traction. Further correction during surgery with Harrington instrumentation yielded 13.5 degrees on the average (16 per cent) so that combined correction averaged 47 degrees, or 57 per cent.

Figures in this Article
    This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
    Sign In to Your Personal ProfileSign In To Access Full Content
    Not a Subscriber?
    Get online access for 30 days for $35
    New to JBJS?
    Sign up for a full subscription to both the print and online editions
    Register for a FREE limited account to get full access to all CME activities, to comment on public articles, or to sign up for alerts.
    Register for a FREE limited account to get full access to all CME activities
    Have a subscription to the print edition?
    Current subscribers to The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery in either the print or quarterly DVD formats receive free online access to JBJS.org.
    Forgot your password?
    Enter your username and email address. We'll send you a reminder to the email address on record.

     
    Forgot your username or need assistance? Please contact customer service at subs@jbjs.org. If your access is provided
    by your institution, please contact you librarian or administrator for username and password information. Institutional
    administrators, to reset your institution's master username or password, please contact subs@jbjs.org

    References

    Accreditation Statement
    These activities have been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint sponsorship of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Inc. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
    CME Activities Associated with This Article
    Submit a Comment
    Please read the other comments before you post yours. Contributors must reveal any conflict of interest.
    Comments are moderated and will appear on the site at the discretion of JBJS editorial staff.

    * = Required Field
    (if multiple authors, separate names by comma)
    Example: John Doe





    Related Content
    The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery
    JBJS Case Connector
    Topic Collections
    Related Audio and Videos
    PubMed Articles
    Clinical Trials
    Readers of This Also Read...
    JBJS Jobs
    01/22/2014
    Pennsylvania - Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
    03/05/2014
    Oklahoma - The University of Oklahoma
    12/31/2013
    S. Carolina - Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Medical Univerity of South Carlonina
    05/03/2012
    California - UCLA/OH Department of Orthopaedic Surgery