0
Articles   |    
Complications of a failed Bristow procedure and their management
DC Young; CA Rockwood
J Bone Joint Surg Am, 1991 Aug 01;73(7):969-981
5 Recommendations (Recommend) | 3 Comments | Saved by 3 Users Save Case

Abstract

The management of patients who have a failed Bristow reconstruction of the shoulder is very complex. In order to determine the complications that occur when a Bristow procedure fails, and how they should be managed, we retrospectively evaluated forty shoulders in thirty-nine patients who had been treated by the senior one of us for a failed Bristow procedure from 1977 to 1987. The complications of the index Bristow procedures included recurrent painful anterior instability, injury to the articular cartilage, failure of the coracoid bone-block to unite with the glenoid, loosening of the screw, neurovascular injury, and posterior instability. The primary etiology of failure of the index Bristow procedure was excessive laxity of the capsule in thirty-two shoulders (80 per cent) that were affected by chronic, painful anterior or posterior instability. An untreated Perthes-Bankart lesion was present in the remaining eight shoulders (20 per cent). The use of anterior reconstruction for the revision of a failed Bristow procedure is a difficult operation that necessitates meticulous technique. As our over-all plan of treatment resulted in a good or excellent outcome in only 50 per cent of the patients, we do not recommend the Bristow procedure for primary treatment of symptomatic anterior instability of the shoulder.

Figures in this Article
    This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
    Sign In to Your Personal ProfileSign In To Access Full Content
    Not a Subscriber?
    Get online access for 30 days for $35
    New to JBJS?
    Sign up for a full subscription to both the print and online editions
    Register for a FREE limited account to get full access to all CME activities, to comment on public articles, or to sign up for alerts.
    Register for a FREE limited account to get full access to all CME activities
    Have a subscription to the print edition?
    Current subscribers to The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery in either the print or quarterly DVD formats receive free online access to JBJS.org.
    Forgot your password?
    Enter your username and email address. We'll send you a reminder to the email address on record.

     
    Forgot your username or need assistance? Please contact customer service at subs@jbjs.org. If your access is provided
    by your institution, please contact you librarian or administrator for username and password information. Institutional
    administrators, to reset your institution's master username or password, please contact subs@jbjs.org

    References

    Accreditation Statement
    These activities have been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint sponsorship of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Inc. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
    CME Activities Associated with This Article
    Submit a Comment
    Please read the other comments before you post yours. Contributors must reveal any conflict of interest.
    Comments are moderated and will appear on the site at the discretion of JBJS editorial staff.

    * = Required Field
    (if multiple authors, separate names by comma)
    Example: John Doe





    Related Content
    The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery
    JBJS Case Connector
    Topic Collections
    Related Audio and Videos
    Clinical Trials
    Readers of This Also Read...
    JBJS Jobs
    02/28/2014
    District of Columbia (DC) - Children's National Medical Center
    04/02/2014
    W. Virginia - Charleston Area Medical Center
    12/31/2013
    S. Carolina - Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Medical Univerity of South Carlonina
    12/04/2013
    New York - Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai