0
Articles   |    
Total Hip Arthroplasty for the Treatment of an Acute Fracture of the Femoral Neck. Long-term Results*
BRIAN P. H. LEE, M.D.†; DANIEL J. BERRY, M.D.†; W. SCOTT HARMSEN, M.S.†; FRANKLIN H. SIM, M.D.†, ROCHESTER, MINNESOTA
View Disclosures and Other Information
Investigation performed at the Mayo Clinic, Rochester
J Bone Joint Surg Am, 1998 Jan 01;80(1):70-5
5 Recommendations (Recommend) | 3 Comments | Saved by 3 Users Save Case

Abstract

We reviewed the long-term results of 126 consecutive total hip arthroplasties performed with cement in eighteen men and 108 women who had an acute fracture of the femoral neck. The patients had a mean age of seventy-five years (range, thirty-nine to eighty-nine years) at the time of the operation and were followed for a minimum of 10.1 years (or until the patient died or had a revision operation) and a maximum of 20.4 years. The median duration of follow-up was 8.8 years for all patients and 15.7 years for the twenty-two patients who were alive at the end of the study period.Six hips (5 per cent) were revised because of aseptic loosening. Survivorship analysis revealed that the probability of survival of the prosthesis without revision (with 95 per cent confidence intervals) was 95 per cent (91 to 99 per cent) at five years, 94 per cent (88 to 98 per cent) at ten years, 89 per cent (79 to 97 per cent) at fifteen years, and 84 per cent (66 to 97 per cent) at twenty years. Of the 118 patients who were alive at the one-year postoperative examination, 117 (99 per cent) had no pain or mild pain and eighty-one (69 per cent) had regained or had an improvement in the preoperative level of function. At the latest follow-up examination, eighty-seven (86 per cent) of the 102 patients who were available still had no pain or only mild pain. Twenty-six patients (21 per cent) had had perioperative medical complications, and twenty-one patients (17 per cent) had had operative complications, including thirteen patients (10 per cent) who had had a dislocation of the hip.Total hip arthroplasty performed in elderly patients for the treatment of an acute fracture of the femoral neck was associated with a higher rate of complications than usually is reported for hemiarthroplasty in such patients. However, the total hip arthroplasty provided good clinical results and was associated with long-term survival of the prosthesis.

Figures in this Article
    Sign In to Your Personal ProfileSign In To Access Full Content
    Not a Subscriber?
    Get online access for 30 days for $35
    New to JBJS?
    Sign up for a full subscription to both the print and online editions
    Register for a FREE limited account to get full access to all CME activities, to comment on public articles, or to sign up for alerts.
    Register for a FREE limited account to get full access to all CME activities
    Have a subscription to the print edition?
    Current subscribers to The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery in either the print or quarterly DVD formats receive free online access to JBJS.org.
    Forgot your password?
    Enter your username and email address. We'll send you a reminder to the email address on record.

     
    Forgot your username or need assistance? Please contact customer service at subs@jbjs.org. If your access is provided
    by your institution, please contact you librarian or administrator for username and password information. Institutional
    administrators, to reset your institution's master username or password, please contact subs@jbjs.org

    References

    Accreditation Statement
    These activities have been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint sponsorship of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Inc. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
    CME Activities Associated with This Article
    Submit a Comment
    Please read the other comments before you post yours. Contributors must reveal any conflict of interest.
    Comments are moderated and will appear on the site at the discretion of JBJS editorial staff.

    * = Required Field
    (if multiple authors, separate names by comma)
    Example: John Doe





    Related Content
    The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery
    JBJS Case Connector
    Topic Collections
    Hip
    Related Audio and Videos
    PubMed Articles
    Clinical Trials
    Readers of This Also Read...
    JBJS Jobs
    01/08/2014
    Pennsylvania - Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
    11/15/2013
    Louisiana - Ochsner Health System