This operation for old dislocation of the shoulder offers the following advantages:
1. The reduction is facilitated by opening the joint capsule anti stripping it from the upper end of the humerus.
2. The danger of injuring the axillary nerve is minimized by avoiding division of the subscapularis.
3. The relationship of the tendons to the musculotendinous cuff is undisturbed.
4. Immediate redislocation is prevented by internal fixation with a transfixing screw.
5. Surgical repair of the joint capsule is obviated, and the capsule can be allowed to heal and contract.
6. Stiffness of the shoulder joint is minimized by mobilization after early removal of the transfixing screw.
- Copyright © 1948 by The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Incorporated
Enter your JBJS login information below.
Please note that your username is the email address you provided when you registered.